Today Veeam released the 6.1 version of their flagship product Backup & Replication.
New key Features of 6.1:
- There is a FREE Edition! – Capable of doing Full Backups of running VMs, restore whole VM/VM File/Guest File, compression, NO incrementals.
Version 6.1 includes a new capability for performing ad-hoc backups. In many
ways, it functions like a zip utility for VMs. For this reason, it’s called VeeamZIP™.
- Instant VM Recovery for Hyper-V.
- New UI – Modern look, larger scale options within interface.
- Additional enhancements (engine, logic, etc.) see below
Veeam Backup Free Edition
Version 6.1 introduces a new free mode called Veeam Backup Free Edition, provides a subset of the functionality in the full (paid) editions of Veeam Backup & Replication, including VM and file recovery. So if you ever need to perform a restore but don’t have access to a Veeam backup server, you can simply download and install Veeam Backup Free Edition. You don’t need a license key, and you can recover VMs, VM files and guest files. Veeam Backup Free Edition also includes file management capabilities. For this reason, it is sometimes referred to as “the New FastSCP™.”
Single VM Backup – Hot Backup of single VMs, no incremental possibilities. Useful for archiving purposes, transfers, DR.
File Level Restore – Possibility of restore individual Files from guest OS. Individual files which are present in file server VM for example.
Full VM Restore – If you need to quickly restore a VM without having access to the Veeam Backup server, just install Veeam Free version and you can do it. No need for a license. You do still need vCenter/ESXi credentials in order to restore a VM.
VM Copy – It’s possible to copy VMs from one server to another.
You can check out the free vs. full comparison.
vPower for Hyper-V
Version 6.1 extends Veeam’s patent-pending vPower® technology—as well as Instant VM Recovery—to Hyper-V. vPower runs a VM directly from a compressed and deduplicated backup file on regular backup storage. You can run a VM from any restore point (full or incremental), without changing the backup. vPower enables Instant VM Recovery, which lets you restart a failed VM from a regular backup in as little as 2 minutes.
Version 6.1 includes a new capability for performing ad-hoc backups. In many ways, it functions like a zip utility for VMs. For this reason, it’s called VeeamZIP.
- You can VeeamZIP a VM without pausing or powering it off.
- VeeamZIP compresses and deduplicates the data to minimize file size.
- VMs are fully encapsulated, and all configuration settings are correctly restored.
- Thin provisioned disks are maintained as thin throughout the backup and restore process.
- You can extract guest files from the backup.