This post has already been read 6155 times!
ProactiveDRS was the winning fling in last year’s 2012 Open Innovation Contest.
What is ProactiveDRS? It is a way for DRS to react to changes in the virtual cluster, and to act on predicted changes in resource demands before hosts become stressed. For example, if you have a VM that historically uses 100% CPU at 8am every morning, ProactiveDRS makes sure that the CPU resources will be available for that VM before 8am. These actions ensure that your cluster runs smoother and reduces the amount of reactive VM rebalances that occur.
- Given an advance forecast/prediction of each VM’s resource demands, e.g., CPU and Memory, ProactiveDRS seeks to reorganize the placement of VMs to best balance the current resource demands while taking early actions to accommodate the future/predicted resource demands.
- Sample actions include, but are not limited to, proactive vMotions (migrations) and proactively powering on a new physical host to accept VMs whose resource demands are expected to spike beyond the available resources of their current physical host.
Install the ProactiveDRS fling released by VMware Inc. at VMworld 2013. The Proactive DRS Fling provides a mechanism to use the VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler product (“DRS”) in proactive mode.
- Download and install vSphere 5.5 Virtual Center – the Virtual Center Virtual Appliance (“VCVA”) is recommended.
- Download and install VMware Operations Manager (vC Ops) v5.6 or newer.
- Configure the vC Ops instance to manage the VC installed in step #1.
- Download this fling VM onto a location from where it is able to communicate (“ping”) with the vC Ops UI VM and the vSphere 5.5 VCVA.
- Power-on the fling VM, read the README.txt file on the desktop to understand any additional setup details.
- Launch the fling by opening the link on the Desktop and follow its simple instructions to enter vC Ops and VC credentials.
- Once the fling creates/transports predicted.stats files and begins counting down the time to its next invocation, Proactive DRS is ready for use.
- In your VC, set the value of the new DRS advanced config option “ProactiveDRS” to 1, for any DRS cluster that you would like Proactive DRS to run on.
The ProactiveDRS Fling comes an OVF file. Download it here