This post has already been read 9471 times!
Today at VMworld US 2014, VMware introduced a new tool to make the Software Defined Datacenter happen.
Introducing VMware EVO: RAIL
Simplify How You Buy, Deploy and Operate Your SDDC
- EVO = Software with vSphere, Virtual SAN technology is the key enabler
- Simple, streamlined deployment and ongoing SDDC lifecycle management
- One support call, 100% powered by VMware.
- Full EVO:RAIL set is delivered by qualified hardware vendor.
VMware is NOT entering the hardware market. The EVO: RAIL software bundle is available to qualifying EVO: RAIL partners. The partner, in turn, sells the hardware with integrated EVO: RAIL software, and provides all hardware and software support to customers.
- Prescribed 2U / 4 Node platform from qualified partners.
- Scale out up to 4 HCIAs (16 nodes)
- General Purpose Server workloads ~100 VMs per HCIA
- VDI ~250 VMs per HCIA
- Time to value to first VM in minutes
- Non disruptive patch & upgrade
- Primary use cases: VDI, ROBO and Private Clouds.
- Single SKU
- Single Point of Contact for support, Call VMware!
EVO:RAIL is an Ideal Building Block
EVO:RAIL Version 1.0 supports 4 EVO:RAIL Appliances (16 ESXi hosts) in a cluster
Per Compute, Storage and Network Node
- Dual socket – Intel Xeon E5 2620v2 CPUs, 6-core
- Memory – up to 192 GB
- 1 x Expansion Slots PCI-E
- Disk controller with pass through capabilities (Virtual SAN requirement)
- Internal Storage: 1 x 146 GB SAS 10K-RPM HDD or 32 GB SATADOM (ESXi boot) 1 x SSD up to 400 GB (Virtual SAN requirement for read/write cache 3 x 1.2 TB SAS 10K-RPM HDD (Virtual SAN data store)
- Network: 2 x Network – 10 GbE RJ45 or SFP+ and 1 x Management RJ45 – 100/1000 NIC
- Pure HTML5 interface! No need to download any browser plugins! Includes the VM console
- 100% HTML5 / WebSockets
- All you need is a HTML5 browser on ANY device!