This post has already been read 9555 times!
Early this year (Q1) VMware launched vSphere 5.5 U1 (introducing VSAN), and Log Insight 2.0. Great releases so far with VSAN . vSphere Next is still in beta and I would not expect the new version to go GA until Q1 2015.
BUT, There is a lot of rebranding going on:
Last week VMware rebranded their vCloud Hybrid Service (vCHS) to VMware vCloud Air.
Here is a good overview of the rebranding:
The vCloud Suite will stay in place for the Private “On Premises” Cloud and will not be rebranded. VMware announced version vCloud Suite v5.8 today at VMworld US. New features are located at the end of this blog post.
VMware Today Announced the vRealize Suite for managing the Off-Premises “Hybrid” Cloud.
Today at VMworld San Francisco, VMware announced VMware vRealize Suite, a comprehensive platform for managing the hybrid cloud. The platform combines the capabilities of VMware’s existing cloud automation, cloud operations and cloud business management solutions into a single offering to deliver. VMware vRealize Suite represents the next step in the evolution of VMware’s market leading cloud management family of products, shifting from a product to a platform strategy. By bringing all management products under a single product family, VMware is focused on delivering a platform with a common services model and an integrated interface to help businesses achieve a high level of automation and orchestration.
The Cloud Management Platform for the Hybrid Cloud Era
Building and sustaining a competitive advantage today requires that businesses continue to innovate and stay nimble. To become a strategic partner to the business, IT must resolve the defining challenge of this new era: delivering on the increasing business need for speed and agility while also offering the on-going need for control and efficiency. VMware vRealize Suite is designed to help customers address both. The new platform provides a comprehensive management stack for IT services running on VMware vSphere and other hypervisors, physical infrastructure and external cloud service providers such as VMware vCloud Air and Amazon Web Services. VMware vRealize Suite delivers three key capabilities:
- On-demand delivery of applications and infrastructure services via a service portal/catalog or API and guided by policy– available with popular tools such as Puppet, Chef and Jenkins to enable DevOps methodologies.
- Cloud analytics and advanced management to optimize the performance, capacity and security of existing and next-gen applications, combining integrated monitoring, self-learning remediation and log management from app to storage, supported by an ecosystem of third-party management packs for Microsoft, AWS, Cisco, SAP and more.
- Infrastructure service costing, metering and analysis including public cloud rate cards, facilitating optimal workload placement and transparent show/charge back.
Introducing VMware vRealize Air Automation
VMware today also introduced the beta of a new software as a service (SaaS) cloud management offering — vRealize Air Automation. This new subscription service will enable customers to automate the delivery and on-going lifecycle management of application and infrastructure services while maintaining compliance with IT policies. With vRealize Air Automation, customers will benefit from:
- Rapid time to value – the service will be immediately available for trial eliminating setup and installation;
- Lower Total Cost of Ownership – fewer people and infrastructure will be needed to support the software, and maintenance and upgrades are included in the subscription pricing;
- More flexible and predictable pricing – customers will pay for what they need, and be able to predict monthly/yearly costs;
- Eliminating system management – customers can focus on managing their data center or cloud environments without having to manage another software stack.
Organizations interested in participating in the beta of vRealize Air Automation can learn more at: http://vrealizeair.vmware.com
Simplifying IT Management with Intelligent Operations
VMware is also unveiling VMware vRealize Operations Insight, a new integrated offering for performance management, capacity optimization, and real-time log analytics. Combining VMware’s operations management and automated log management solutions, vRealize Operations Insight will offer customers predictive analytics to help them improve performance and avoid disruption by enabling them to proactively identify and remediate issues before they impact the business. A single solution, vRealize Operations Insight will allow businesses of all sizes to extend intelligent operations management beyond vSphere environments to include storage, networks, operating systems, and physical servers through a robust marketplace of extensions for third-party products.
vRealize Operations Insight is an add-on offering for vCOPS (VMware vSphere with Operations Management).
Pricing and Availability VMware vRealize Suite is expected to become available in Q3 2014. It will be made available in two editions: Advanced ($5750 per CPU) and Enterprise ($9950 per CPU).
VMware vRealize Air Automation is now available in beta. Customers and partners interested in participating in the beta program can sign up at: http://vrealizeair.vmware.com . Pricing for VMware vRealize Air Automation will be announced at general availability.
VMware vRealize Operations Insight is expected to become available in Q3 2014. It is licensed on a per-CPU model starting at $2000 per CPU.
vCloud Suite 5.8, What’s New:
- Improved BCDR (Self-Service, policy based, increased scalability of DR capabilities)
- Enhanced Next-Gen Apps –> Big Data Extensions supports Hadoop 2
- Improved interoperability with NSX
- New Proactive support (free Support Assistant vCenter plug-in)